Cosmetic Dentistry - Dental Veneers & Tooth Whitening
If you want to improve your smile, dental veneers are a great option for patients who are good candidates. Unlike full coverage crowns, or “Caps”, veneers are thin coverings that are placed over the front (visible) part of the tooth. They look like natural teeth. Veneers can be used to correct a wide range of dental issues, such as:
- teeth that are stained and can't be whitened by bleaching
- chipped or worn teeth
- crooked or misshapen teeth
- uneven spaces or a large gap between the upper front teeth
Veneers are made of either porcelain or composite resin material. We will help you choose the material that is best for you. Each type of veneer has its own benefits.
|Before veneers||After veneers|
A porcelain veneer is a thin shell that is custom-made to fit on the tooth.
Benefits of porcelain veneers:
- they are strong and long-lasting
- they have a natural-looking surface
- less tooth enamel needs to be removed than with a crown or cap
- they don't stain easily
|A ceramic veneer is placed||After placement|
Composite Resin Veneers
A composite resin veneer is made from a tooth-colored filling material bonded to the tooth.
Benefits of composite resin veneers:
- usually less tooth enamel needs to be removed than for crowns or porcelain veneers
- may mean fewer visits to the dentist-sometimes these veneers take just one visit
- cost less than porcelain veneers
- are easy to fix if they get damaged; although composite veneers are generally not as strong or wear-resistant as porcelain veneers, composite veneers can be repaired easily and quickly.
Drs. Risinger, or Shadix will help you make the decision whether or not you are a good candidate for veneers, and which treatment option best fits your needs.
One of the first things others notice about you is your smile. In our society, a nice, bright smile is often perceived as a healthy smile. Statistics reveal that we place a high value on our smiles. According to an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry survey:
- Virtually all adults (99.7%) believe a smile is an important social asset. 96% of adults believe an attractive smile makes a person more appealing to members of the opposite sex.
- Three-quarters (74%) of adults feel an unattractive smile can hurt a person’s chance for career success.
- And when respondents were asked, “What would you like to improve most about your smile?” The most common response was: Whiter & brighter teeth. If you are not happy with your smile, teeth whitening may be a good first step.
There are several methods we currently use at Paramount Family Dentistry to help you achieve a brighter smile. If whitening is something you are considering, be sure to talk to our doctors concerning which option is right for you.